Fresh Asparagus & Pecorino Tart
Try this tasty new dish to celebrate the British asparagus season.
Makes 2 individual tarts
The products marked with * are available from our online deli. Just click on the link for more details.
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
2) Roll out the puff pastry to a 3mm thickness (about the thickenss of a £1 coin). Line 2 x 14cm fluted loose-bottomed tins, pressing the pastry right into the edge of the base, then trim the top edge.
3) Prick the base with a fork, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (uncooked rice does the trick if you have no beans). Place onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the baking beans and put back into the oven for another 3-4 minutes.
4) In the meantime, roughly chop the asparagus and slice the shallot.
5) Heat the extra virgin olive oil in small pan, and add the shallot and asparagus. Cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
6) Mix together the double cream, pecorino cheese and eggs, then season with salt & pepper.
7) Put the asparagus mixture into the bottom of the cooked pastry case, then pour over the creamy filling.
Grate a little nutmeg over the top of the tart, put onto a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, until the centre is just set.