A Wonderfully different version of a traditional dish and an excellent use for any leftover Christmas Panettone.
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp water
1 cinnamon stick
100ml Vin Santo or other sweet wine
100g butter, softened
600ml single cream
60g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp demerara sugar
The products marked with * are available from our online deli. Just click on the link for more details.
Serves six people
- Soak the sultanas in the Vin Santo overnight
- Peel the apple and cut into small cubes. Put into a small saucepan with the sugar, water and cinnamon stick and cook for about 10 minutes or until the apple is soft.
- Grease an ovenproof dish (about 25cm x 25cm), with a little of the butter.
- Cut the panettone into slices about 1.5cm thick and spread the rest of the butter evenly over them.
- Arrange a layer of panettone in the dish, buttered side up and sprinkle over the apples and sultanas. Finish with another layer of buttered panettone.
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract and pour over the panettone.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar and cook at 160 degrees for 30 minutes.